The educational sector has seen a significant amount of digital transformation in recent years. From the paradigm shift to online education and opting for digital learning approaches, the concept of Information Management Systems has seen a rise.
In today’s fast-paced and customer-centric world, higher education institutional heads are faced with an enormous challenge in nurturing students’ experiences, and the burden of organising, reporting and tracking student data further complicates matters. For this, the Student Information Management System can be utilised.
Before getting into the details, let’s understand what the purpose of an SIS is and what features make it a feasible option.
What is the purpose of an SIS?
SISs are primarily used to streamline administrative operations at schools. Using the software, students’ data can also be accessed from one easy-to-use platform. Using it, data formats can be standardised to create a unified, easy-to-understand database, which is time-saving and easy to analyse.
There is remote access to all the data as it is automatically organised and stored.
Due to its added security, SIS, a cloud-based software, is easily reconfigurable and reliable enough for storing confidential and sensitive information. Additionally, it facilitates the sharing of data between various departments in a safe, secure environment. Furthermore, it facilitates open communication within an organisation.
Let’s take a look at the numerous features that a student information system provides.
Features of SIS
Before adapting to anything, it is better to be aware of the features and how they can affect you. Following is a list of features that are associated with a student information management system:
- Cloud-based: Cloud-based software allows educational institutions to store and record huge amounts of data easily and efficiently. Cloud-hosted SIS provides greater customisation and configuration flexibility thanks to its flexible architecture. Heads of institutions can get a deeper understanding of student progress, academic schedules, courses, and more, all in the cloud.
- Tracking and maintenance of records: By using a Student information system, the teachers and the administration department of the school can keep track of all the vital information. An SIS compiles all the information in one place, making it easy for anyone to access. Furthermore, it also keeps track of the student’s performance and grades so that the teachers can work accordingly.
- Admission management: The admission process is a complex and time-consuming task. It requires a lot of paperwork and hard work from the school administration. However, with a student information system, things can get much easier. Everything can be automated and simplified with an SIS, from enrolment applications to enquiries made by the students.
- Attendance management: Another feature of the SIS is the ability to maintain student attendance securely and generate related reports on demand. As a result of this feature, institutions are able to minimise proxy requests and paperwork. Students absenteeism can be tracked instantly via SMS and email alerts so that parents can keep an eye on their wards’ performance.
- Effective communication: An SIS system is the perfect solution to carry out effective communication between teachers, parents and students. With a student portal, the students can check for the assignments and their performance and connect with their teachers for any doubts. Additionally, using the parents portal, the parents can connect with the teachers regarding their child’s performance and keep track of the fee payments as well.
Using the SIS system creates value-added, automated and progressive solutions that result in a better learning environment for the students. Therefore, now more than ever, it is imperative for educational institutions to grasp this cloud-based software to empower educators and enhance overall school operations.